Directorate of Nutrition Education and Training
The department of Nutrition Education and Training is among five departments of Tanzania Food and Nutrition Centre. This department has the following responsibilities:
- To develop and review curricula and training guidelines on food and nutrition in collaboration with relevant institutions.
- To supervise and develop a national nutrition reference library.
- To coordinate the development and dissemination of food and nutrition information to the public
- To conduct research in nutrition education and training.
- To coordinate and conduct in-services training for TFNC staffs’ and other service providers.
The department has four units which are Government Communication, In-service Nutrition Education, Food and Nutrition Library and Printing. These units have the following responsibilities:
1. Government Communication Unit
- To coordinate the dissemination of nutrition education to the public through media including radio, television, newsletters, brochures, posters, videos, social media (twitter, facebook, instagram, blog) and the Centre's website.
- To develop and disseminate various nutrition publications
- To develop and disseminate key messages based on food and nutrition researches.
- To coordinate anniversaries, commemorations, exhibitions and campaigns for food and nutrition.
- To conduct researches on social and behavior change communication.
2. In-service Nutrition Education Unit
- To coordinate food and nutrition training to technical staff from various sectors, civil society and other stakeholders.
- To develop guidelines and training manual on food and nutrition.
- To advocate incorporation of nutrition issues into curricula of various education and training institutions.
- To conduct training need assessment on food and nutrition from different sectors, civil society and other stakeholders.
3. Food and Nutrition Library and Unit
- To acquire publications on food and nutrition from various sources.
- To preserve publications on food and nutrition issues.
- To assist customers to access information on food and nutrition issues.
4. Printing Unit
- To print Centers’ publications and from other institutions
PROJECTS/PROGRAM IN THE DEPARTMENT
- Maternal , Infant and Young Children and Adolescent Nutrition (MIYCAN)
- 1000 Social and Behaviour Changes Communication (SBCC) Kits
- Micronutrients Powder (MNPs) Uses for Children aged 6 months –under five years Children
- Nutrition in Schools (Primary and Secondary )
- Curriculum Review and Development
- Mass Media and Materials Development